Friday, May 6, 2011

Indian creme brulee

It's been a busy week and much have been cooked and baked and whisked. Yet, I haven't found the courage to report my mischief until now.

It seems insanely ridiculous given my eating habits, but I am lactose intolerant. With the years, it seems that my stomach has thrown the sponge and is getting used to being abuse with dairy products all day. I used to take Lactaid pills or drink up Lactaid milk, until I read Nina Plank's essay on Real Food, and I was convinced that a) raw milk was best for my guts and b) life was too short to feed on half-food and ersatz. Today, I live the life - eating cheese, and many other dairy goodies, and drinking plenty of wine (of course). I don't drink raw milk except when visiting my folks in France, who live in the countryside, right where strictly controlled raw milk is available, legal and plentiful.

All this to say this: Last weekend, I made an attempt at baking a dairy free creme brulee. A dear friend was coming over for dinner and he was lactose intolerant. Yet, I couldn't bring myself to deprive him from creme brulee.

Indian Cremes Brulees: (Creme Brulees Indiennes)

For 4 ramekins/ 4 people


6 egg yolks
1 can (about 400g) coconut cream (which already contains sugar)
1/2 can coconut milk (about 20cl)
1 tablespoon cardamon powder (or 6 cardamon pods)
3 pieces of star anise
zest and juice of a lime
pinch of saffron, crushed between fingers
about 1-inch long piece of ginger, peeled and grated

Pre-heat the over to 350F.
In a heavy saucepan, stir together the coconut cream, coconut milk, anise, saffron and cardamon on medium high heat. Bring to a simmer than cover and let the spices steep 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, zest, juice and fresh grated ginger.
Temper the yolks by pouring a small quantity of coconut liquid on, stirring briskly. Whisk in the rest of the liquid, then pour into ramekins.
Place the ramekins in a water bath so that the water reaches half way up the dishes. Bake 40 minutes in the middle of the oven.
Let cool completely and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
The cremes can serve served as pots de creme, or their top can be caramelized as cremes brulees either with a blow torch or on the broiler: Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar on each dish and place on the broiler for 5 to 6 minutes (keep a close eye of the ramekins and see the sugar turn into caramel).
If using the broiler, the cremes brulees need to be served immediately.
Decorate with slices of grapefruit.

I see stars!

Grating gracefully

Petits pots to be bruleed soon

Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment